Xinja is building Australia’s first 100% digital bank designed entirely for mobile. We are building a bank with our customers and designed in their interests. Neobanking will disrupt the existing banking model and create a whole new generation of experiences.
Developing the first neobank in the country is an exciting and challenging task. We are not a bank yet but working with regulators to become one. Our ethos is based on a win-win with our customers; if they do well, so do we. We believe it’s time Australians had access to the kind of technology that allows them to get a lot more out of their money, with less angst.
We extend that attitude to our people and our partners. We look after our staff, and trust them with significant responsibility, but support them well. This is a fantastic opportunity to be part of building a great company, and a fabulous brand AND learn heaps along the way.
Xinja’s offices are in the Sydney CBD but we support flexible working.
Our 10 golden rules
To be successful at Xinja you are going to need to be happy working with our 10 golden rules
- No dickheads… However good they may be. No dress code, but sometimes you need to look smart 🙂 . No power trips because of a hierarchy. Intellect, customer experience and implementation is all that matters.
- Everything is in the cloud.
- We use real time data to evaluate our business and we reward staff on a quarterly basis with an entirely discretionary profit share. No one gets a share of the profit if our investors aren’t making money and our customers aren’t happy.
- We are here to make money, that’s why we exist, and we don’t screw people over to do it. We don’t lie to our clients in person or in marketing. We don’t engage in immoral lending; if our grandmother would think it was wrong, then it is. We aim to make lots of money ethically and we are proud of it.
- No one is entitled to work at Xinja. It is a huge honour to represent people’s hopes of a new bank and we earn that honour every day.
- We look after our people bloody well. We stand by them if they are in genuine need.
- We are truthful and direct with each other. Everyone says what they think in a robust, challenging, edgy environment. That means we won’t be the right place for everyone to work, and that’s ok.
- We only hire people better than us. We never, ever settle because we need a body. We do psychometric testing to get the best people, every time.
- About half our team, executive and board will be female, if they aren’t we aren’t recruiting the best people. We actively seek all types of diversity combined with brilliance.
- If you discriminate against someone because of who they love/sleep with, you’re a dickhead… Please see rule 1.
This role reports directly to the Chief Risk Officer (CRO) of Xinja. Our CRO reports to the CEO and Board. The role is critical in supporting the CRO to attain and maintain an AFSL, ACL and become an authorised deposit-taking institution (ADI).
This is a challenging and exciting role, with direct accountability and nowhere to hide. This role will suit someone who believes in Xinja’s mission to revolutionise banking in Australia, and who is prepared to roll their sleeves up and deliver every day.
Attention to detail and a very high standard of work are obligatory to be successful.
The first 90 days will involve supporting the CRO to obtain regulatory licences, establishing a number of policies, delivering training and supporting the business to launch its first product(s). It will then transition into a primarily operational risk and compliance role with some credit risk (reviewing the Lending Policy & Procedures and home loan reviews). You will have an opportunity to make your mark on one of Australia’s most exciting fintechs and help build robust risk and compliance frameworks. You will be an advocate for a strong risk culture, embracing active review & challenge in all aspects of operations and be a risk consultant for the business. You will have integrity, honesty and resilience as part of your DNA.
The role will assist the CRO to implement the Risk Management Framework and Compliance Program.
The successful candidate will be autonomous, yet a team player. Have the ability to enforce Policy & Procedures whilst at times thinking laterally, a sounding board for the CRO and passionate about revolutionising banking.
- Creation of responses to APRA, ASIC, AUSTRAC and any other regulatory bodies
- Assisting the CRO in the production of risk policies, documentation, training and processes
- Assisting the CRO in advising the business on situations requiring risk advice and promoting a robust culture of active risk management
- Liaising with APRA, ASIC and any other relevant bodies on behalf of the CRO and Xinja
- Managing operational risk and compliance within Xinja post March as products begin to go live.
- Running trainings on risk and compliance areas.
- Implementing the operational risk and compliance systems.
Likely Experience and Skills:
- Superior Communication Skills
- Highly motivated and goal-oriented
- Ability to create and maintain business relationships both internal and external
- Have a well developed knowledge of financial services legislation and an ability to communicate that knowledge effectively
- Have a strong understanding of all appropriate risk & compliance policies, procedures and processes related to operating as a bank
- Have an in-depth knowledge of business products and Xinjas’ value proposition;
- Foster the delivery and adoption of new technologies and risk behaviors
- Work with technical, business and operations team to meet Xinja’s required risk outcomes.
- Ability to meet deadlines, make independent decisions and utilise sound judgement
- Demonstrate professionalism, courage and trustworthiness
- Be a productive member of the Xinja team and strengthen our culture. Live our golden rules.
- Ability to interact with regulators (ASIC, APRA. AUSTRAC and RBA)
- MUST have 5+ years compliance and /or operational risk experience
- MUST be degree qualified e.g. Law, Commerce, Economics, Business or similar
- MUST have passion, drive, plenty of ticker and a can do attitude.
- MUST be autonomous yet can work in a team (an amazing one at that)
- NICE to have is credit risk experience
- NICE to have is IT and / or project risk experience