Xinja is building an Australian, independent 100% digital bank designed entirely for mobile. We are building a business with our customers and designed in their interests. Neobanking will disrupt the existing banking model and create a whole new generation of experiences.
Now….let’s talk about you:
We’re looking for an energetic individual with solid financial accounting skills to join the Xinja team and contribute to its growth. More important than Financial Services experience, is a strong grounding in day to day accounting tasks, month end close and reporting activities. Ideally, you will have worked in a Small Medium Enterprise with accountability for day to day accounting or had exposure to a range of processes in a larger team and looking to take the next step. You’ll report directly to the Chief Financial Officer and play a role supporting our growing business with a key focus on ensuring the core accounting processes are completed with a high degree of quality.
You should know that we do things a little differently at Xinja. We are looking for someone who is willing to take “the road less travelled by” in the next step in their career and are happy working in a flat, non-hierarchical structure. This is an opportunity to be exposed to a bank at the ground level – so if you have the interest to learn, then this is the role for you! In saying this, we should call out that you need to be comfortable to take on a broad range of tasks and be open to learning as much as you can, especially about banking!
You’ll need to be well organised with strong attention to detail and have experience building out and improving processes and controls. The role will be suited to someone who enjoys working in a fast-paced and dynamic environment, who is able to adapt to changing priorities. You’ll work closely with the Finance Manager and the rest of the Finance team, as well as interacting with Xinja’s from different functions so you need to be a person known for their good communication skills.
Xinja’s offices are in the Sydney CBD but we support flexible working.
Our 10 golden rules
To be successful at Xinja you are going to need to be happy working with our 10 golden rules.
- No dickheads… however good they may be. No dress code (but sometimes you need to look smart :-). No power trips because of a hierarchy. Intellect, customer experience and implementation is all that matters.
- Everything is in the cloud.
- We use real time data to evaluate our business and we reward staff on a quarterly basis with an entirely discretionary profit share. No one gets a share of the profit if our investors aren’t making money and our customers aren’t happy.
- We are here to make money, that’s why we exist, and we don’t screw people over to do it. We don’t lie to our clients in person or in marketing. We don’t engage in immoral lending; if our grandmother would think it was wrong, then it is. We aim to make lots of money ethically and we are proud of it.
- No one is entitled to work at Xinja. It is a huge honour to represent people’s hopes of a new bank and we earn that honour every day.
- We look after our people bloody well. We stand by them if they are in genuine need.
- We are truthful and direct with each other. Everyone says what they think in a robust, challenging, edgy environment. That means we won’t be the right place for everyone to work, and that’s ok.
- We only hire people better than us. We never, ever settle because we need a body. We do psychometric testing to get the best people, every time.
- About half our team, executive and board will be female, if they aren’t we aren’t recruiting the best people. We actively seek all types of diversity combined with brilliance.
- If you discriminate against someone because of who they love/sleep with, you’re a dickhead…please see rule 1.
Day to day, you’ll:
- Be responsible for the monthly management reporting including the month end close for four legal entities and providing quality information for management.
- Manage vendor payments/processing whilst transitioning onto a new general ledger. We have a number of key vendor partners, so you will have a professional approach to dealing with these partners.
- Oversee payroll (externally prepared) and related controls.
- Ensure compliance with GST, SGC and corporate tax including liaising with external advisers.
- Conduct expense reporting and analysis, assisting in budget preparation and forecasting
- Assist with daily capital and liquidity monitoring to support the Treasury team
- Undertake project and ad hoc work supporting system changes, new business initiatives and business unit performance.
- Look for areas to improve efficiency and controls.
You should apply if you:
- Are excited by the prospect of building a new kind of bank and learning more about its operations
- Are a quick learner and thrive when there’s ambiguity
- Are not afraid to get into the detail when required to ensure you have a clear understanding of the information provided to the business and our partners.
- Are CA/CPA qualified or equivalent with strong technical skills.
- Have excellent written and verbal communication, accuracy and attention to detail
- Have excellent interpersonal skills to be able to work in a small company environment and ability to collaborate across the entire team.
- Have strong collaboration skills and have experience contributing to cross-functional projects
- Have experience with systems changes and continuous improvement
It’s a bonus but not required if you have experience working:
- Working at a start-up or a role where you are responsible for a range of accounting tasks
- In Banking or Financial Services
- In agile ways
Changing banking for good:
Developing the best neobank in the country is an exciting and challenging task. Our ethos is based on a win-win with our customers; if they do well, so do we. We believe it’s time Australians had access to the kind of technology that just allows them to get a lot more out of their money, with less angst. We are for profit and for purpose.
We extend that attitude to our people and our partners. We have an inclusive and diverse culture where we look after our staff and trust them with significant responsibility, but support them well. This is a great opportunity to be part of building a great company AND learn heaps along the way.
If you’re up for this:
Please email your CV to [email protected]